Sometimes all you can do is smile. Move on with your day, hold back the tears and pretend you’re okay this is the condition a patient suffering from backache is facing every moment. Backache is a debilitating and uncomfortable situation. It is the common reason for absence from work. It can affect people of any age. The chances of lower back pain are common as the people get older due to degenerative changes in the disc.
The pain in the upper part of the back is due to spine inflammation, tumor in the chest, & disorders of the aorta. Lower back pain is associated with discs between the vertebrae, lower back muscles, bony lumbar spine, spinal cord, nerve compression, discs between the vertebrae, ligaments around the discs and the spine, skin around the lumbar region, abdominal and pelvic internal organs. Most of the people take a higher dose of pain-killers and steroids for its treatment that causes side effects on the body. Instead of all these medicines, you should always take ayurvedic and panchakarma treatment for proper relief. As these medicines, act on the root cause of the disease without causing any side-effects.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Backache?
The various signs and symptoms that are associated with backache patients are:
- Swelling and inflammation on the back
- Muscle ache
- Pain that radiates down your leg
- An injury or trauma to the back
- Weight loss
- Numbness around the anus
- Urinary incontinence
- Difficulty in passing urine
- Numbness around the buttocks
- Fecal incontinence
- Numbness around the genitals
- Pain that worsens with walking, standing, lifting, bending
- Stabbing or shooting pain
- Radiating pain in your leg
What are the Causes of Backache?
Our back is composed of ligaments, tendons, discs, bones, & muscles that support the body. When there is a problem with any of the component it can cause back pain. Damage to the back is due to poor posture, strain, medical conditions, & many other conditions. There are many causes for backache mentioned below:
- Strain in muscles, ligaments, muscle tension, fracture, injuries, muscle spasm, fracture, injuries, lifting heavy weight, etc.
- Structural problems like bulging disks, ruptured disks, arthritis, sciatica, osteoporosis, abnormal curvature of the spine, kidney stones, kidney infections, etc.
- Cauda equina syndrome causes pain in upper buttocks, lower back, and numbness in thighs, buttocks, & genitalia.
- A tumor on the spine, infection of the spine, pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Wrong sitting posture & obesity.
- Muscle tension, over-stretching, lifting, pulling, pushing, or carrying heavy weight.
What is the Ayurvedic Concept for Backache?
In Ayurveda Backache is correlated with “Kati Shoola” mainly vata dosha is involved. It is categorized under vataja nantmaja vyadhis. Kati is known as Back and shoola means pain.