When there are more than 25 ml of fluid in the peritoneal cavity it leads to a condition known as ascites. Most commonly, ascites is due to a liver disease that is caused by enough protein to retain fluid in the bloodstream, it causes obstruction to flow scarred cirrhotic liver.
What are the causes of ascites?
The different causes of ascites are as follows:
- Liver cirrhosis is the most common cause
- Abdominal carcinoma
- Abdominal tuberculosis
- Renal dialysis
- Peritoneal mesothelia
- Congestive heart failure
What are the signs and symptoms of ascites?
Excess fluid accumulation causes increased abdominal size which is related to the following signs & symptoms:
- Shortness of breath
- Abdominal bloating
- Abdominal discomfort
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea or vomiting
Healthy tips and diet for Ascites:
Here are some of the healthy tips & diet that are beneficial for ascites patients. These tips give good & effective results that are mentioned below in detail:
- Stop drinking alcohol.
- Limits the amount of fluid intake.
- Limit your daily intake of salt.
- Use ginger as it is a great herb that helps in the process of digestion and helps to remove the feeling of abdominal discomfort.
- Drink garlic juice mixed in water as it helps to cure ascites.
- Drink fresh bitter gourd juice mixed in water thrice daily.
- Crush fennel seeds and boil in hot water. Fennel seeds contain oils that reduce inflammation and bacteria causing bloating.
- Eat healthy food & avoid processed, fried, & stale food.
- Take diuretics like gokshura, punarnava, arjuna which helps to reduce the excess fluid in your body.
- Exercise daily as this helps in developing abdominal muscle.