Polycystic ovarian syndrome is condition in which a woman has an imbalance in female sex hormones. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which is common among women at reproductive age group. Women with PCOS may have infrequent or prolonged menstrual periods or excess male hormones (androgen) levels. They may present with disturbance in frequency and duration of menstrual cycle associated with increased levels of androgens. Ovaries may be filled with follicles along with non release of ova. PCOS can cause symptoms including excess facial and body hair (hirsutism), acne vulgaris, and mood changes. It can also make it difficult to become pregnant, and may significantly harm a person overall health if left untreated. About 80 percent have irregular menstruation, 70 percent have high level of Testosterone leading to hirsutism and sometimes Alopecia and acne. PCOS cysts are different from normal ovarian cysts. According to Ayurveda PCOS cases clinically are seen of two types, one is Kapha Pradhana and other Pitta Vataja pradhan vyadhi.
What are the General Signs and Symptoms of PCOS?
The signs & symptoms seen in PCOS patients are:
- No period after you have one or more normal ones during puberty (secondary amenorrhea)
- Irregular periods
- Excessive hair growth over face, and around nipples
- Decreased breast size
- Enlargement of the clitoris
- Hair thinning, depression, and mood disorders
- Voice gets deeper
- Excessive bleeding
- Acne Vulgaris that gets worse.
- Thick dark skin developing on neck, underarms, and groin
What are the Causes of PCOS
The exact cause of PCOS is not known but few of the reasons are mentioned below:
- When there is excessive increase in androgen it causes ovulation difficulty that may be a reason for PCOS.
- If in your family your mother, grandmother is having history of PCOS than you may be at higher risk of developing PCOS.
- When ovaries produce high levels of androgen it results in acne and excessive hair growth.
- Obese women are at higher risk of developing PCOS as it increases inflammation in the body.
What is the Ayurvedic view of PCOS?
As per Ayurveda PCOS cases clinically are seen of two varieties, one is Kapha Pradhana and other Pitta Vataja pradhana dosha. In Ayurved it is correlated with “Aarthava Kshaya”. Kaphaja pradhana patients are obese & are more prone to PCOS.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for PCOS?
PCOS reflects vitiation of rasa and rakta dhatus in the body. When levels of impurities and toxins increase in rasa and rakta dhatus, body stores them in form of cysts around ovaries. In Ayurveda there are number of herbs that will treat PCOS form its root cause. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre has formulated ayurvedic medicines in PCOD Relief Kit. This kit comprises of five products in it mentioned below in detail:
1. Kachnaar Guggul
Kachnaar guggul is an Ayurvedic medicine beneficial for PCOS patients. These herbal tablets are prepared form herbs like Kanchnaar ( Bauhinia variegata) ,Haritaki ( Terminalia chebula) , Bibhitaki ( Terminalia bellirica) , Amalaki (Phyllanthus emblica) , Shunthi ( Zingiber officinale ), Kali Mirch ( Piper nigrum ), Pippali ( Piper longum) , Varuna ( Crataeva nurvala ), etc. These all herbs in combination reduce the cyst size and remove it out. It reduces inflammation in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
2. Stri Poshak Syrup
Stri Poshak Syrup is an Ayurvedic herbal medicine that is beneficial in PCOS. This Syrup contains herbs like Ashok Chall ( Saraca indica ) , Lodhra Chall ( Symplocos racemosa ) Khadir Chall ( Acacia catechu) , Guduchi ( Tinospora cordifolia), etc that maintain the overall reproductive system of a woman. These all herbs in combination show an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, etc properties.
Recommended Dosage: 2 Teaspoonful twice daily.
3. Stree Vyadhihari Rasa
Stree Vyadhihari Rasa is an Ayurvedic herbal medicine that contain ingredients like Sootikabharan rasa (that contain various bhasma), Latakaranja ( Caesalpinia bonduc ) , Shunthi ( Zingiber officinale) , Maricha ( Piper nigrum), Pippali ( Piper longum), Lashuna ( Allium sativum ), etc. This herbal tablet balances hormones in the body. It nourishes the female reproductive system & is beneficial in PCOS.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
4. Stri Poshak Capsules
Stri Poshak capsules contain ingredients like Ashok Chall (Saraca asoca), Lodhra Chall (Symplocos racemosa) , Amalaki ( Emblica officinalis), Nagkesar (Mesua ferrea), etc that reduces size of the cyst and remove it out. These capsules deal with the inflammation, pain, fatigue, irregular menses, excessive bleeding, etc conditions.
5. PCOD Sachet
PCOD Sachet is an Ayurvedic herbal formulation by Chandigarh Ayurveda and Panchkarma center. These sachets contain ingredients like parwal pishti, imli shaar, Giloy satv, Jahar mohra pishti, shwet parpati, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 Sachet twice a day with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment in PCOS?
In Ayurveda Panchkarma help in cleansing, detoxifying, restoring the hormones and metabolic imbalance related to women with PCOS. There are some Panchkarma therapies which help in the successful management of PCOS. All therapies are mentioned below in detail:
- Abhyanga – In this therapy massage with medicated oil is given to the patient.
- Basti – In Ayurveda Basti chikitsa is one of the most effective therapies for PCOS especially boosting fertility and ensuring healthy conception. Basti involves a series of medicated enemas performed over the specific number of days. Basti consists of various Ayurvedic medicinal herbal ghee, herbal oils and kashaya.
- Vamana – In Panchakarma Vamana is a cleansing and detoxifying therapy which involves systematic and planned removal of toxins by inducing emesis. Vamana helps in balancing hormones, boosts fertility and help in weight loss. It is crucial for long term successful managements of PCOS.
- Virechan – In Panchakarma Virechan is yet another detoxifying therapy which involves removal of toxins by inducing purgation (increased bowel movements). Virechan is extremely effective in PCOS, hormonal imbalance or irregular periods.
Healthy Tips and Diet for PCOS Patients
Here are some healthy tips along with diet that will provide good results to PCOS patients:
- Drink low-fat milk by adding a pinch of turmeric in it.
- Eat fruits such as apples, papaya, grape, pineapple, oranges and pears.
- Reduce the intake of refine sugar. Honey is excellent for reducing kapha.
- Beans are recommended. Nuts should be avoided.
- In PCOS Spices are recommended only in moderate quantities.
- Vegetable such as potatoes and sweet potatoes should be avoided.
- Follow a lifestyle that will not aggravate any dosha in your body.
- Negative feeling or thoughts like stress and tension should be avoided.
- Limit the use of contraceptive pills.
- Follow an active lifestyle, do exercise, yoga, pranayama.
- Do perform yoga poses like bhujangasana, naukasana, dhanurasana, balasana, padmasana, etc.
- Stop Smoking, drinking alcohol and using narcotics, etc.
- Stop high calorie diet such as carbohydrate, fat rich diet, bakery items, and fast food.