Sometimes all you can do is smile. Move on with your day, hold back the tears and pretend you’re okay this is the condition a patient suffering from backache is facing every moment. Backache is a debilitating and uncomfortable situation. It is the common reason for absence from work. It can affect people of any age. The chances of lower back pain are common as the people get older due to degenerative changes in the disc.
The pain in the upper part of the back is due to spine inflammation, tumor in the chest, & disorders of the aorta. Lower back pain is associated with discs between the vertebrae, lower back muscles, bony lumbar spine, spinal cord, nerve compression, discs between the vertebrae, ligaments around the discs and the spine, skin around the lumbar region, abdominal and pelvic internal organs. Most of the people take a higher dose of pain-killers and steroids for its treatment that causes side effects on the body. Instead of all these medicines, you should always take ayurvedic and panchakarma treatment for proper relief. As these medicines, act on the root cause of the disease without causing any side-effects.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Backache?
The various signs and symptoms that are associated with backache patients are:
- Swelling and inflammation on the back
- Muscle ache
- Pain that radiates down your leg
- An injury or trauma to the back
- Weight loss
- Numbness around the anus
- Urinary incontinence
- Difficulty in passing urine
- Numbness around the buttocks
- Fecal incontinence
- Numbness around the genitals
- Pain that worsens with walking, standing, lifting, bending
- Stabbing or shooting pain
- Radiating pain in your leg
What are the Causes of Backache?
Our back is composed of ligaments, tendons, discs, bones, & muscles that support the body. When there is a problem with any of the component it can cause back pain. Damage to the back is due to poor posture, strain, medical conditions, & many other conditions. There are many causes for backache mentioned below:
- Strain in muscles, ligaments, muscle tension, fracture, injuries, muscle spasm, fracture, injuries, lifting heavy weight, etc.
- Structural problems like bulging disks, ruptured disks, arthritis, sciatica, osteoporosis, abnormal curvature of the spine, kidney stones, kidney infections, etc.
- Cauda equina syndrome causes pain in upper buttocks, lower back, and numbness in thighs, buttocks, & genitalia.
- A tumor on the spine, infection of the spine, pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Wrong sitting posture & obesity.
- Muscle tension, over-stretching, lifting, pulling, pushing, or carrying heavy weight.
What is the Ayurvedic Concept for Backache?
In Ayurveda Backache is correlated with “Kati Shoola” mainly vata dosha is involved. It is categorized under vataja nantmaja vyadhis. Kati is known as Back and shoola means pain.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for Backache?
Ayurveda contains various herbs that balance vata dosha naturally. Ayurvedic medicines act on the root cause of disease & relieve all symptoms without causing any side-effects. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre contains a complete Backache Solution Kit for the natural and herbal treatment of Backache. This Kit comprises of five products Ras Rajeshwar Ras, Vishtinduk Vati, Panchsakar Churna, Backache Relief Oil, & Trikatu Syrup.
All Products description in detail:
1. Ras Rajeshwar Ras
This is a herbo-mineral ayurvedic preparation that contains ingredients like Rasraj Rasa Suvarna yukta, Rasa Sindoor, Ashwagandha, Dashamoola Vishesh Shodhit Guggul, etc. These herbal tablets reduce pain, inflammation, & swelling related to the back. All types of neuro-muscular conditions are treated with the use of these tablets.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
2. Vishtinduk Vati
This vati is prepared from purified Kupilu (Strychnos nux-vomica) that contains strychnine & brucine. It pacifies the vata dosha and reduces kapha dosha in the body. These herbal tablets show analgesic, antispasmodic, nervine stimulant, antitussive, etc properties good in backache.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet thrice daily with normal water.
3. Panchsakar Churna
This is a classical herbal churna prepared from ingredients like Shunti, Krishna Pippali, Trivrith, Haritaki, & Sauvarchal lavana. The main purpose of this churna is to pacify vata and kapha dosha in the body. It helps in overall detoxification of the body that removes all toxins.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful at night time with lukewarm water.
4. Pain- O- Kill Oil
The ingredients used for the preparation of this herbal oil are Kustha, Jyotishmati, Devdaru, Rasna, etc that relaxes the muscles. This herbal oil reduces pain, swelling, & inflammation related to backache problems.
Method of Application: Take an appropriate amount of oil. Gently massage over the affected area twice daily. You can massage for 15 mins at least.
5. Trikatu Syrup
This herbal syrup is prepared from herbs like Black pepper, Long pepper, & Ginger. It shows anti-inflammatory, analgesic, expectorant, antioxidant, etc properties. This herbal syrup reduces inflammation, swelling, & pain related to backache patients.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily before meals.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Backache?
Panchakarma is the best way to treat all the signs and symptoms related to Backache patients. As it gives good result along with ayurvedic medicines mentioned above. The procedures recommended in Backache are:
- Kati Vasti: In this procedure, a circular ring is formed on the back with dough. After that lukewarm medicated oil is poured in this ring. After that, the oil is removed. The procedure is done for four to five time.
- Patra Potli Pind Sweda: In this procedure, a potali (bag) is filled with herbal leaves. After that, it is cooked in medicated oil. With this potali lower back is massaged to reduce the potali.
- Shasti Shali Pind Sweda: The shasti shali rice is cooked in medicated oil. After that, the affected area of back is massaged with this potali.
- Abhayang: In this procedure, lower back is massaged with the medicated herbal oil.
Healthy Tips and Diet for Backache Patients:
- Eat a healthy diet and avoid processed or fast food items.
- Drink green coconut water daily.
- Avoid drinking tea and coffee.
- Eat plenty of fruits except banana.
- Consume food items that are rich in fiber for avoiding constipation.
- Smoking, drinking alcohol, & taking tobacco should be strictly avoided.
- Include raw salads in your diet. Also, include green leafy vegetables.
- You can take yellow lentil, pink lentil, green gram but avoid black gram, chickpeas, white rice, kidney beans.
- Walk daily for 30 mins daily.
- Do perform yoga poses like Bhujangasana, Ardha mastsyendrasana, Trikonasana, Halasana, Paschimottanasana, Adho Mukha Svanasana, Tadasana, Garudasana, Dhanurasana, etc.